Saturday, July 18, 2020

Growing Season (Book #1) by Melanie Lageschulte (Goodreads Author) – 4 Stars



After 25 years of working in the big city, Melinda Foster mut leave her job, big downsizing and no new jobs to be found. She and all of her friends are at a loss.  She receives a call from her Aunt and Uncle who own a small-town hardware store in Iowa. It’s been in the family forever and they really need her help as her Uncle had an accident and had to have surgery, he won’t be running the store any time soon and her Aunt can’t run the store as he needs much taking care of.  She sublets her place for the summer and turns up to help out. She finds a place out in the country with a for rent sign, a beautiful farmhouse that needs some TLC, when she calls, she decides to go and see it.  She agrees to take care of the place in exchange for a really low rent and finds that she’ll be taking care of the owner’s dog who has a main role in the book, along with chickens, sheep and a garden.  The owner agrees to go to the nursing home where his brother is living, he’s lost his room mate and is starting to lose his memory.  They feel if he goes there, he may want to stay there and also that he will help his brother remember some of the past and the present by being his room mate and helping him out.  The owner doesn’t want to leave his farm unless he feels his dog will have a keeper that will care about him and that someone will take care of the far with as much care as he would.  There are some twists and turns and I have always lived in a big community of Michigan and have family also in Iowa.  I always said after one visit that I would never return.  This book gave me more insight into small town living/country living and I see more why my family once moving there enjoys living there.  I still don’t plan to move, at 61 I don’t see a big change in my future but you never know. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the book.  I received it in a kindle format for free and my words above were my own freely given. I wasn’t required to give a review and wasn’t paid for my review.  I would love to read the next book in the series, “Growing Harvest!”

Enjoy the first novel in a heartwarming rural fiction series! Melinda Foster is already at a turning point when the "for rent" sign beckons her down a dusty gravel road. Facing forty and downsized from her copywriting job at a Twin Cities ad agency, Melinda is struggling to find her way forward when a phone call brings her home to rural Iowa. It's not long before Melinda is living in a faded farmhouse, caring for a barn full of animals, and working at her family's hardware store in the community of Prosper, whose motto is "The Great Little Town That Didn't." And just like the vast garden she tends under the summer sun, Melinda soon begins to thrive. Filled with memorable characters, from a big-hearted farm dog to the weather-obsessed owner of the local co-op, "Growing Season" celebrates the challenges and joys of rural life.