Monday, January 25, 2016

Amish Christmas at North Star: Four Stories of Love and Family by Cindy Woodsmall, Mindy Starns Clark, with Emily Clark, Amanda Flower, and Katie Ganshert.


Amish Christmas at North Star: Four Stories of Love and Family
Five stars for the four novellas which were each so different from the last!
I so loved reading these novellas.  Each was very different from the last.  The characters all started life being delivered by the local midwife, Rebekah.  They were all born on the same evening. 
I unfortunately can’t say a lot about the novellas I finished them just after going to the hospital with a rather uncomfortable reaction to a medication I had been taking for ten years.
  I was up all night but had my kindle with me and I was able to stay awake and read the ending of the last story.  As with any author you can like them tremendously and others not as much.   The four stories were all written very well but I did have a couple of the stories that I liked more than the others, that doesn’t take away that they were all very well written. Each time I read books about the Amish I learn something more about them that I didn’t know before. 
My Grandmother lives in a town that the Amish come to very often.  They sell their goods in a small store in town.  I have always been curious about them and it only takes a wagon with the familiar black carriage to make me think of my Grandmothers which always seemed more like home to me than my own home.  I’ve been able to visit a local cheese shop, I’ve bought rugs and was able to go into the little room separate from the house to see how the gal made the rugs and to pick out my colors.  The rugs are beautiful.  I also went with my grandmother to pick up some bake goods and to pick out a windmill that was made by the local carpenter; I got to go into his work room and met some of his children. He found out my Grandmother was in the car and had to come out and talk to her, he had read an article about her and he said that the older people are the ones you need to talk to and ask questions of as they have lived through much more than we have.  They put great stock into their elders.
Now I’ve gotten off subject of the four books, I can tell you that I read each they were each different in subject matter than the last, and I loved reading them. They were all well written with fully developed characters and I didn’t want to lie the book down for very long, before finding time to pick it back up and start reading again.  I had only read Cindy Woodsmall before, so I have some new authors to read in the future.  I enjoyed the stories and each had a different voice! "I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review."