Thursday, May 17, 2018

The Accidental Guardian by Mary Connealy (High Sierra Sweethearts #1) 4.5 stars!



I love to read stories based in the old west with strong women characters and this book didn’t disappoint.  I picked the book up yesterday and never put it down until I was finished. I had to see it to the ending.  It was a very entertaining read.  Not really as complex as some books get but then I don’t always want them that way.  I enjoy a good yarn, strong characters, great elements of the old west and Mary Connealy didn’t disappoint me in the least!  The romance was believable but the ending left me just a little curious…….it was obviously leaving it open for the next book in the series there were a few things that were unfinished but I’m sure Mary Connealy will take care of those in the next book. 
The story of Trace and Deborah was fun to read, enjoyable and I wanted to see the end of their chase to find the people that attacked her wagon train and killed everyone in it except herself her sister and two children.
The book had mystery, romance, suspense and elements of the old west and wagon trains, cowboys and Indians and I enjoyed it very much. 

I received this book through the Bethany House Blogger Review Program in exchange for posting an honest review which you see above.  Just receiving the book to me doesn’t mean I will absolutely give it five stars I try to be as honest as possible.

Description as found on Good Reads:
She's the only witness to a wagon train attack. Keeping her safe, though, means his world is about to be turned upside down.

When Trace Riley finds the smoldering ruins of a small wagon train, he recognizes an attack by the same group who left him as sole survivor years ago. Living off the wilderness since then, he's finally carved out a home and started a herd--while serving as a self-appointed guardian of the trail. He'd hoped the days of driving off dangerous men were over, but the latest attack shows otherwise.

Deborah Harkness saved her younger sister and two toddlers during the attack, and now finds herself at the mercy of her rescuer. Trace becomes an accidental guardian when he offers the only shelter for miles around and agrees to take them in until they can safely continue their journey. His simple bachelor existence never anticipated kids and women in the picture and their arrival is unsettling--yet enticing.

Trace and Deborah find themselves drawing ever closer as they work together to bring justice to the trail and help the group survive the winter--but every day closer to spring means a day closer to leaving the mountains forever.